Summer Peach Chutney
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper, peeled, seeded, diced 1/4 inch
- 1/2 cup, small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 small red hot pepper, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds firm, fresh peaches, blanched to remove the skin, pit removed, sliced into wedges
Put the vinegar and the sugars into a non-reactive pot, place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add the red peppers, onion, garlic, ginger, salt and simmer 10 minutes. Add the peach segments and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the peaches are of the desired softness. If a thicker consistency is desired, strain out the solids from the liquid and boil the syrup until thickened. Re-add the peaches.
Remove from heat and allow to cool. Serve at room temperature.
If you’d like a little more heat, replace the smaller red pepper with a jalapeño pepper.